A space to post my thoughts and musings about anything. This includes but is not limited to community, politics, current events, dating, GLBTQ issues, favorite things, and stuff that would make your dead relatives blush. I am not afraid to go there, as some can attest.

April 06, 2008

Taylor Swift = Homophobe?

Has anyone heard Taylor Swift’s new single "Picture to Burn"? I happened to catch it on Surius Hits 1, the song has to do with a breakup gone bad, the way it is written is the typical crap that high school students pull on one another when there’s a breakup and drama behind it. However, my jaw dropped to the floor when I heard these lyrics:

Lyrics Page

So go and tell your friends that I’m obsessive and crazy
That’s fine I’ll tell mine you’re gay

I couldn’t believe that this was what I was hearing. I know that it may be a song and it’s all about the drama, but damn, that’s screwed up to sing that you’ll go around telling your friends that your ex-boyfriend is "gay" just because you two broke up. The worst part is that I have known people who have done that kind of thing, and in high school when you're in that awkward stage of trying to fit in and such, words like that can be very destructive.

If Taylor Swift is really condoning that kind of behavior, well then she’s several unprintable derogatory words in my book. You can say I'm being overly sensitive, but before you do, think about your own life, I'm sure somewhere someone spread a false rumor about you just because they were mad at you, and I bet you were pretty upset about it.